Withdrawing sponsorship of draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-06-11 17:18:43

Folks, after the various IPR disclosures were filed on
draft-housley-tls-authz-extns, I asked for a second IETF last call to
see if we had consensus to publish this document on the standards
track given the IPR claims against it.

That last call did not show the consensus I was looking for.  So, we
agreed we were going to send mail to the TLS working group and ask
them for their comments on publishing the draft.  We hoped that we'd
see a consensus there.  The chairs did ask for comments; see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg01688.html .

Comments were provided, but there was not a consensus in favor of
publication on the standards track either there or on the ietf list.

I think there is a rough consensus against publication on the
standards track.  However it is quite clear that there is not a rough
consensus in favor of publication on the standards track which would
be required to do so.

So, I am withdrawing my sponsorship of the draft and as far as the
IETF process is concerned this draft is no longer under consideration
for publication.

One option that several people suggested is publication as an
informational spec.  I personally do not choose to sponsor this
document for informational or experimental.  often, it seems that we
use informational as a way to publish things we cannot build a strong
consensus behind.  I think that process is generally problematic and
would like to avoid it in this instance.  Other ADs may consider
sponsoring this document as an informational document; I would ask
them to carefully consider whether that is the best use of the time
they have to offer the IETF community.  My conclusion is that for me
personally, it is not.

Publishing this document via the rfc editor independent submissions
track is basically not an option because the IANA assignments require
IETF consensus or standards action.

That leaves the authors with several options:

* Work with people to build consensus and try again later.  Possibly
  working on discovering prior art or trying to revise the licensing
  terms.  There should be a much higher bar for starting the process a
  second time, but perhaps that bar can be met.

* Work on an alternative that does not have the IPR constraints.

* Work on finding another AD to sponsor the document.  I will not do
  so, and I'd advise my fellow ADs to think for a long time before
  taking on this draft, but I would not block another AD sponsoring
  the draft.

* Rewrite this document as a sketch of what might be done rather than a
protocol and go through the independent submissions track.

* Drop the proposal.

I'm sad that we have come to this point.  I think this technology has
significant value and wish we'd found a way to publish it.  However we
follow a consensus process for many valuable reasons and it is clear
that the necessary consensus is not present in this case.
Sam Hartman
Security Area Director