Re: Reforming the BOF Process (was Declining the ifare bof for Chicago)

2007-06-18 22:21:28

--On Monday, 18 June, 2007 19:10 -0700 Clint Chaplin
<clint(_dot_)chaplin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Well, let's be really clear here.  802 is a horse of a
different color, unlike any other project IEEE has going.
Unfortunately, it's the model we are all most used to.

I've heard it described as a camel of a different color, and I
think you will find and levels of familiarity vary, but yes.

802 is the original project, and still exists in the form of
the 802 Executive Committee.  All 802 groups (802.11, 802.1,
802.3), exist as a sub working group under 802.  Some of these
sub working groups have themselves spun off sub groups of
their own (802.11 TGr, 802.11 TGT, etc.).

I've never seen the process of starting a whole new project
within IEEE; I'm not sure a study group is required, or even
done.

I just got curious and checked the IEEE-SA web site to see how
much their procedures had changed since I was an ex-officio
member of the Standards Board.  The answer appears to be that
there are a few more hoops to jump through, a new organization
specifically charged with doing in depth PAR (Project
Authorization Request) review and several new requirements on
PARs.  PARs correspond more or less to Charters in the IETF and
to New Work Item (NWI) proposals in ISO.  Getting a PAR even to
the stage of acceptance for review requires a sponsoring body
within the IEEE: if no one is interested, the effort to develop
a PAR is dead (I trust that sounds familiar).

And, incidentally, approved PARs expire after four years.  One
can request an extension, but projects that aren't going
anywhere time out, expire, and disappear.  That is something
that has been proposed and discussed several times around the
IETF but has never gotten anywhere, the actions of a few
tough-minded ADs notwithstanding.

More at
http://standards.ieee.org/resources/development/index.html

This is very subjective, but I think that, if one compares
setting up entirely new projects and WGs to our chartering
process, the IEEE process is more rigorous and probably takes
longer.

    john