Re: Last Call: draft-hutzler-spamops (Email Submission: Access and Accountability) to BCP

2007-06-21 10:17:29
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, John C Klensin wrote:

But, as an illustration of my problem, let's compare the above with the
later text about Submission servers (MSAs) supporting both Submit and
SMTP.  I suggest (and I hope my comments made clear) that the *best*
practice there is for the MSA operator to require that all MUAs that
intend to be its client support Submit -- the port and the
authentication -- and hence that port 25 traffic be prohibited entirely
or, at least, supported with the same level of authentication that
particular MSA would require for Submit if the MUA were using that port.
But the document wraps SHOULD language around that case.  If the
difference is recognition of existing practice and the fact that a few
MUAs haven't caught up, that is fine, but it is somewhat inconsistent,
IMO, with your "*best* current..." reasoning above.

It's not inconsistent: you can't ignore the limits on what is achievable.
You seem to be suggesting that "current practice" means what operators
actually do (including the morons and dinosaurs) and "best practice" means
the fantasy ideal world that we strive towards. Obviously a document
describing the former doesn't move us forwards, and one describing the
latter is useless for operators who are constrained by reality. I think
it's unreasonable to argue against the document on the grounds that it
tries to strike a reasonable middle path.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
DOVER WIGHT: SOUTHERLY 3 OR 4, VEERING WESTERLY 4 OR 5. MODERATE, OCCASIONALLY