Re: Last Call: draft-hutzler-spamops (Email Submission: Access and Accountability) to BCP

2007-06-21 11:08:54
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, John C Klensin wrote:

Hmm.  Since a few providers, at least one of them quite large,
have already imposed "find an MUA that supports authentication
or go elsewhere" requirements without being driven out of the
marketplace or even suffering any noticeable pain, I didn't
consider the requirement to be unachievable, unrealistic, or a
fantasy.  YMMD, of course.

I run a university email system not a free webmail service, so I have to
be rather more accommodating. Still, although all routes in to our main
email service (Hermes) are encrypted and authenticated, we still have a
trad smarthost which is mainly used by departmental MTAs but also by MUAs
when smtp.hermes is not appropriate (e.g. visitors who don't have a Hermes
account).

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
ROCKALL: NORTHERLY 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 AT FIRST. MODERATE OR ROUGH.