Re: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

2007-07-01 07:51:48
At 2:36 PM +0900 7/1/07, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > Maybe we are getting to the point in time where we should only have
 > IPv6 at IETF meetings

good luck. Until the ISPs and our corporate networks deploy it, we can't go there.

        to use legacy protocol like IPv4 :-) you can use IPv6-to-IPv4
        tranlators like NAT-PT or RFC3142.

NAT-PT (RFC 2766) is being moved to Historic status. RFC 3142 is Informational. Without a standards-track method for people to use IPv4, changing a production network to IPv6 seems unwise.

their scalability is no worse
        than IPv4-to-IPv4 NAT.

That may be true, but it is also irrelevant, given that the current production network doesn't use IPv4 NAT at all.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium