Re: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

2007-07-01 09:49:11

NAT-PT (RFC 2766) is being moved to Historic status. RFC 3142 is
Informational. Without a standards-track method for people to use
IPv4, changing a production network to IPv6 seems unwise.

      RFC status does not have direct connection with "being implemented" or
      "being deployed" (see all the W3C standards which did not originate
      in IETF).

      at N+I tokyo we have been using RFC2766/3142 for IPv6-only net cafe
      since around year 2000 or something.  in June 2007 N+I network team
      used Windows Vista official releases as the clients.

NAT-PT really needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.  It provides
all of the disadvantages of IPv4+NAT with all of the transition costs of
IPv6.  If there is ever any significant penetration of NAT-PT, then the
pseudo-IPv6 network will not be able to support any more kinds of
applications than the NATted IPv4 does today.

Keith