RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-natpt-to-historic-00.txt

2007-07-02 12:09:44
    > From: Christian Huitema <huitema(_at_)windows(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com>

    > the IETF evolved from an informal gathering where engineers will
    > agree on how to do things, to a reactive body that mostly aims at
    > controlling evolution of the Internet. Is that really what we want?

I'm glad you used the work "aims to control", because in reality the IETF has
very little control of what happens. But still these arguments go on, about
stuff like NATs and IPv6.

Meanwhile, according to a study be people from Google which looked at a
random sample of about a million web pages, *at least one in 10* web pages
are booby-trapped with malware (defined as "contain[ing] scripts to install
malicious code, such as Trojans and spyware") - and I won't even get into
how people have discovered how to put viruses in not just Word files, but
also QuickTime movies, PDF files, etc, etc.

(I am utterly disgusted that my profession rushed to deploy active content,
when it should have been obvious that it was a giant raft of security
problems just waiting to happen, but let's not go down that rathole.)

Anyway, for the average ordinary-person network user, they now have a good
chance of having their computer taken over while simply browsing the web
(even on sites one would think are OK like eBay, YouTube, and MySpace),
thereby subjecting themselves to losing credit card or bank account data,
or even identity theft.

Needless to say, for the average person, this is one heck of a lot more
important that stuff like NAT and IPv6, and if it gets much worse, people
are going to start bailing out.

But the IETF can't do anything to fix that, either.

The IETF needs to get a grip.

        Noel