RE: Domain Centric Administration, RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-natpt-to-historic-00.txt

2007-07-02 11:51:32
John,

I completely agree with you here, when I said $50 I meant $50 including the
cost of administration. If the user has to do anything more than plug the box
in its going to cost a lot more than $50.

If no users were stupid and no users were criminals and all programmers were
competent there would be absolutely no need for any security technology at all.

It took ten years to convince enough people that there were enough stupid,
criminal and incompetent people that they had to think about security before
deploying stuff like cookies, javascript, BASIC authentication and so on. You
were in the room when we had to convince MarcA that integrity was a security
inssue they had to take notice of. That was 1994, it took till 2004 till
professional Internet crime was accepted as a real phenomenon that designers
needed to consider seriously.

Lets look for commonality here. I think we can all agree on the following:

1) NAT workarrounds are bad, they are layer violations that other network
applications end up having to cope with.

2) Applications that assume end to end consistency of network addresses violate
the layering principle and are therefore bad.

3) Network administration has real costs and is too complicated as far as most
users are concerned.

I agree that today stamping out cookie cutter networks in NET 10.x.x.x and
gating them to the Internet via NAT is the way to go. Domain Centric
Administration would allow us to meet that set of requirements better.

The draft is not yet in the repository, but the principles are pretty
straightforward:

1) It is a directory driven network administration approach

1a) The directory is DNS. The SRV record is used for service discovery,
prefixed TXT records for protocol policy statements, XPTR to allow a wildcard
effect.

1b) The security layer is DNSSEC or possibly TSIG combined with a lightweight
keying mechanism

1c) There are no more reserved port numbers. All discovery takes place via SRV.

1d) We don't use broadcast or multicast, just plain DNS.

1e) DHCP is used to obtain an IP address and the DNS prefix for the local
network. A given machine will use the IP address specified but may override the
domain name assignment.

2) All devices have built in authentication capability

2a) This follows the DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem spec, bind a cheap device cert into
the device during manufacture. This allows the MAC/EUI address to be used as an
authenticated identifier

3) All devices and services have the ability to describe their functions and
requirements

3a) If Mr Coffee says it needs NTP service and this is allowed by the local
network policy it can send/receive NTP packets, otherwise it can't. And even if
it is allowed NTP service this might well be rate limited.

The idea here is to design a system that offers consumer level ease of use
while meeting an enterprise pain point. Schemes such as UPnP failled in my view
because they never got vendor buy in which was in turn because consumers don't
write RFPs and the schemes suggested did not offer real value to enterprises
that do write RFPs.

In order to get deployment a scheme needs to meet an enterprise pain point. In
this scheme I am aiming to address both the security pain point and the cost of
administration pain point.