Re: Domain Centric Administration, RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-natpt-to-historic-00.txt

2007-07-02 10:07:37

On Monday, July 02, 2007 07:01:28 AM -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

And from a security point I want to see as much NAT as possible.

Whereas I want my applications to work, and people to stop conflating NAT and firewalls.

You don't want to see as much NAT as possible; you want to see as much blocking of inbound connections to consumers as possible, and for some reason you seem to think that a firewall which does that must necessarily also be a NAT. In fact, it does not; it's perfectly reasonable to build a box that can be sold for <$50 which sits between a subscriber's computer and the Internet and provides a basic firewall. Such a thing could be combined in the same box as an ethernet switch, wireless AP, maybe a basic router, DNS cache, and so on. In fact, plenty of such boxes are sold today, except they all come with NAT turned on by default.

That is _not_ because NAT makes the network more secure - it doesn't.
It's because most of the people buying those boxes "need" NAT because their ISP's won't give them more than one address, or at least won't do so for a reasonable price. Fix _that_ problem, and you'll start seeing boxes that provide security and flexibility without needing NAT.

Frankly, Phill, I'm surprised and disappointed that you are not only making such a basic mistake, but spreading FUD about it.

-- Jeff