Re: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

2007-07-02 09:56:03

On Saturday, June 30, 2007 10:56:59 PM -0400 Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Jun 30, 2007, at 9:49 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:

Maybe we are getting to the point in time where we should only have
IPv6 at IETF meetings

good luck. Until the ISPs and our corporate networks deploy it, we  can't
go there.

... and this point may be lost on some people, but most IETF participants do not operate their ISP's or corporate networks, and have no ability to change them. Most of us come to IETF meetings to get work done, not to spend the week fighting to get connectivity to home because someone wants to use the IETF network to "encourage" someone to deploy IPv6 or any other new technology.

Every time I come to an IETF meeting, I lose a week or more of time on my regular job. What makes that acceptable is that I can get significant amounts of IETF work done in that week. Take that away, and IETf meeting attendance suddenly becomes counter-productive for individuals, and then for the organization as a whole.

The IETF network is not, and never has been, for experimentation, showing off new technology, or making political statements. Please keep it that way.

-- Jeff