RE: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

2007-07-03 08:38:06
Why can't the people who want to use IPv4 use that and the people who want to
use IPv6 use that.

If IP and appletalk can survive in the same network then IPv4 should be able to
survive with IPv6.

Sounds to me as if what is really being proposed here is to shut down the IPv4
connectivity. That will cause a serious loss of productivity for me. I am going
to Chicago to work and not to participate in a LAN party or an interop. There
are plenty of venues where that can take place.

With 1200 attendees paying $600 plus travel to attend the meeting is costing
well over a million dollars.

I agree that we should do dog food. The fact that this experiment cannot take
place is the data point.

People have to accept the data point and think through the deployment strategy
more thoroughly.

Back when laptops first came out you have to buy one power brick for the US and
a second one for Europe. The modern multi-voltage power supply only appeared
when an Apple vice president got angry when he discovered he dd not have the
right adaptor, returned to the engineering dept and told them that from now on
the machine would work on any mains electricity anywhere in the world.