Re: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

2007-07-04 18:10:40
you and I obviously inhabit different planets.  please don't tell me any
more about the one you live on.

Keith

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Well you say that you can't do this and that without knowing what you are
doing.

A counterexample is the fact that the basic architecture of the most widely
used security protocol we have in use today were set by people who did not
know what they were doing. They had the good sense to later hire people who
did but they had already made the critical choices at that point.

Sure we beat them up for getting the security design wrong (he's talking
about an integrity attack, Marc), but they did make a design choice that none
of the rest of us who knew better would have done that has in hindsight
turned out to be completely right.

A similar set of issues surrounded the Web. The critical invention was 404
Not Found. Scruffy links were the wrong way to do it in 1992 but today we
understand that only scruffy can work.