Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

2007-07-13 23:52:32
Agree and moreover, dual-stack works with private IPv4 addresses behind NAT,
so not an issue.

Regards,
Jordi

De: Tony Hain <alh-ietf(_at_)tndh(_dot_)net>
Responder a: <alh-ietf(_at_)tndh(_dot_)net>
Fecha: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:25:56 -0700
Para: "'Hallam-Baker, Phillip'" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>, 'Stephen
Sprunk'
<stephen(_at_)sprunk(_dot_)org>, 'Keith Moore'
<moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>, 'Jun-ichiro itojun
Hagino' <itojun(_at_)itojun(_dot_)org>
CC: 'Paul Hoffman' <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org>,
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Asunto: RE: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

There are two fundamental flaws with your claims.
'What we need is a transition strategy that is more effective than dual
stack.'
&  'The typical consumer does not host servers?'

There is no 'one size fits all' transition strategy, and no amount of hot
air will fix that. Dual-stack is promoted as the primary path because it
allows for an application by application graceful deployment by each
independent organization. Every other approach applies a forcing function
somewhere, and those typically come with a cost that is not localized to the
person doing the work. As you note, it assumes that IPv4 is retained to
allow that smooth transition. If people insist on waiting until there is no
more IPv4 to be had, the state will no longer be dual-stack, it will be a
panic driven deployment of hacks. For dual-stack to work, people need to use
the approach well ahead of IPv4 exhaustion. Claiming we need something more
effective is just hot-air, because 'effectiveness' will be measured
differently in every one of the millions of individual deployment
environments.

The second statement is the result of nat, not a desired situation. The
average non-geek will not intentionally host a service, but anyone that runs
skype or the like without a nat is providing a super-node service. Despite
your claim, typical consumers do this kind of hosting, and would do more of
it if there were no nat. The more we move toward p2p apps being the norm,
the more that services will be hosted on non-traditional 'servers' and at
non-traditional points in the network (ie: the home).

The real solution to your claim about the need for a more effective strategy
would be to stop allocating IPv4 to the ISPs that do not deliver IPv6 native
service to all of their customers. If the IPv6 native service existed the
dual-stack approach would work just fine. Of course the IETF can't tell the
RIRs to stop allocating IPv4, and since the RIRs are dominated by the ISPs
there is no chance of a policy change that would force deployment of IPv6 to
the edges.

In the end, the IETF did what it could do by defining a set of tools that
can be used to get IPv6 deployed. The fact that the ISPs are not taking
advantage of those and moving ahead is outside of what we can impact. If
they try and come back with complaints about tools not working, we can work
to fix those, but at the current burn rate the time for any standards fixing
has passed. Even if we modified the spec for transition tools today, by the
time the resulting products hit the streets we would be well into panic mode
from the exhaustion of IPv4.

Essentially the only thing we can do now is stand back and get ready to
roast marshmallows on the fire of the media driven panic when the pool runs
dry.

Tony