Re: The myth of NAT traversal, was: Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

2007-07-13 15:09:10
On 7/13/07 5:43 PM, "michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com"
<michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com> wrote:
I believe that we need a more general protocol for hosts inside a site
perimeter to communicate with the perimeter gateways and request
services from them.

We've actually got several of them, starting with SOCKS (which
could have been extended), continuing through RSIP, on to midcom
and SIMCO.  Note that "midcom" was so named under the assumption
that whatever was done would be extensible to other sorts of
middleboxes than firewalls and NATs

We could spend an awful lot of time talking about why none
of them has caught on, but I think it's fair to say that that
failure has not been caused by a perceived lack of generality.

Melinda