RE: Domain Centric Administration

2007-07-03 12:55:56
Doug,

You are entirely right about the internet crime issues. In my book (to be
published in the Fall, Addison Wesley) I mention default deny and domain
centric of course but they are not what I would regard as my first line of
defense.

The problem we always get to with Internet crime is the 'The problem is X/ no
its Y/ no its Z' debate. The problem is X, Y and Z and A through W as well. The
idea of the book is to set out a straw man for a comprehensive solution so that
instead of having that debate people can instead say 'your solution to X sucks,
here is a better one', and I can reply 'thanks, now I can write the second
edition'.

The point here is that I want to help people deploy IPv6 even though it is not
the very top of my list of priorities and I am not a network routing person
(not done work on that layer since my undergraduate thesis and proofs of
deadlock freedom for routing protocols).

What I have learned from deploying security is that even though people say that
security is their #1 concern, they lie. Their #1 concern is always going to be
something else. But security will always top every poll of top 5 priorities
because it is everyone's #2 or #3 issue.

We are dealling with very fine tipping points here. 95% right means zero
deployment, get it to 96% and suddenly it takes over the world in 18 months.
The gap between the Web and gopher or HyperG is very very small. HyperG was in
many ways technically superior, certainly the application software was better
right up to 1995/6 or so.