Re: Requirements for Open IESG Positions

2007-07-24 09:03:47
"Soininen" == Soininen Jonne (NSN FI/Espoo)
<jonne(_dot_)soininen(_at_)nsn(_dot_)com> writes:

    Soininen> Hi, I just happened to read this mail today. I don't
    Soininen> remember seeing such a mail during previous nomcom
    Soininen> rounds (they might have come, but I just didn't notice
    Soininen> them). I think this is a very good overview of the
    Soininen> requirements needed for the IESG positions and gives a
    Soininen> nice background to think about the people who would fit
    Soininen> the positions.

    Soininen> However, I think one of the areas is described a bit too
    Soininen> much in detail and perhaps give a wrong impression about
    Soininen> the job. The following extract is from the Security
    Soininen> Area:

    >> Specific expertise required for a Security AD includes strong
    >> knowledge of IETF security protocols.  To complement Tim Polk,
    >> the person selected as Security AD should have a working
    >> understanding of Kerberos, GSS-API, SASL, and how these relate
    >> to security protocols and to their use in applications and
    >> other security protocols.  A basic understanding of IPsec, IKE,
    >> TLS, PKI would also be useful.

    Soininen> I'm sure this is an oversight, but I think it is
    Soininen> generally not according the IETF process to specific
    Soininen> technologies and "hard coding" the division of work in
    Soininen> an area. To my understanding, the Ads in an area are
    Soininen> free to divide the work between themselves as they wish
    Soininen> according their strengths. So, if the a possible new
    Soininen> security AD would not be interested to look at these
    Soininen> technologies, perhaps Tim would look at them - according
    Soininen> the new division of work in the area.

I tend to agree that this is not an ideal practice, but it has been
going on for many years.  The set of technologies listed there are
things that I'm mostly doing these days with particular emphasis on
things Tim doesn't have as much experience with.  Last year, the
description focused on areas Russ had the most experience in.

It's kind of complicated to fix.  If you stuck two security ads in
with my experience or with Tim's experience it would not be ideal.