RE: Charging I-Ds

2007-07-31 17:17:31
The current business model does not bring in enough cash. How do we bring in
more
in a way that furthers ietf goals?

E.g. other standards setting bodies have paid memberships and/or sellable
standards.

IETF unique way could be to charge a fee for an address allocation to RIRs. On
their
side RIRs would charge for assignments as they do now and return a fair share
back
to IANA/IETF.

If IETF start charging for reading contributors' papers how much voluntary
contribution such arrangement would generate? Is there a guarantee that a
pre-paid
content remains worth reading?

Thanks,

Peter

--- "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

This is a topic on which everyone can have an opinion, hence many posts.

Perhaps if there was a charge per post to an ietf mailing list?

There is a serious point here though, Cerf, Postel and co have left us an
institution with a 60s flower power era business model and a 1990s
expectation of
quality of service.

The current business model does not bring in enough cash. How do we bring in
more
in a way that furthers ietf goals?

We could adopt the nist model of franchising conformance testing, only with an
incremental fee on top paid to the ietf for use of the brand.

The fee per item does not have to be very large to bring in a lot of cash. We
only
need five or so million a year.

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)