RE: [manet] Last Call: draft-ietf-manet-iana (Internet AssignedNumbers Authority (IANA) Allocations for the Mobile Ad hocNetworks (MANET) Working Group) to Proposed Standard

2007-08-13 05:13:32
Ian wrote:
Before you voiced your suggestion to allocate an IP protocol number,
the issue has never arisen. Unless there is WG support to allocate an
IP protocol number, I do not think it will be allocated.

[Teco]
I did rise this question before, see below.
Maybe the issue is not that important; UDP overhead is 8 octets, brings
checksum and could take advantage of header compression for UDP. But using a
native IP protocol is more in line with other IETF routing protocols.

-----Original Message-----
From: Teco Boot [mailto:teco(_at_)inf-net(_dot_)nl]
Sent: woensdag 25 april 2007 13:28
To: 'Ian Chakeres'
Cc: manet(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: [manet] manet-iana WG Last Call: site-local address and UDP only

Hi Ian,

You request a site-local multicast address. I cannot find any usage of it in
the current I-Ds. Do we need this? Or always perform hop-by-hop forwarding
using a link-local address? I think the latter is used by OLSRv2 and DYMO
protocols, but I can miss something.

You also do not request an IP protocol number. Maybe I missed a discussion
before and the outcome could be using UDP only, (may be TCP also). I cannot
find any reference. Using UDP checksum is a reason.

Regards, Teco

Regarding packetbb IANA considerations and other MANET WG protocols
additional IANA needs they are addressed in their documents. For
example, see packetbb's IANA section.

Ian