Re: e2e

2007-08-20 18:49:39

What we need to do is figure out how to let the intelligent network core work cooperatively with the intelligent edge to let it do intelligent things. Right now, the core and the edge are ships in the night, passing and occasionally bumping into each other. No, we don't want unnecessary intelligence in the core. But, as with routing, I will argue that there is some that is constructive.

Careful Fred, this begins to sound more like phone company hype of the 1980s for AIN, a return to the "beads on a string" model of data communications rather than the innovative ideas that lead to the Internet.

The thinking seems to be stuck in an "either-or." It is too bad that those brilliant insights of 30 years ago were never pursued but became an object of reverence and stagnated.

Your remark about Robert and Bressler brings to mind an interesting observation I have noticed. If you look at the work of Baran, Roberts, etc. those who were mature workers in the field before the "paradigm shift" they only seem to make half the shift. (Not uncommon in the history of science). They make the shift to packets but not the shift from determinism to non-determinism. It seems to be left to those who come after to fully embrace the new model. And much of the effort for the past 30 years has been between the deterministic supporters and the non-deterministic advocates. But then it would seem that the new model is carried out not with the vision of founders but with a spirit of preservation by converts.

Maybe one of these days some of these young researchers will finally have the gumption to do what needs to be done. Heck, When we were their age anyone our age didn't know squat and we were right! But right now, they don't seem to be much of a challenge, if the best they can do is overlays and p2p.

Take care,
John