Re: Last Call: draft-aboba-sg-experiment (Experiment in Study Group Formation within the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)) to Experimental RFC

2007-09-10 22:02:02
okay, just to be clear - I'm not sure it should be assumed that SGs
follow the same rules as for WGs - especially if SGs can be closed or
invitation only like design teams can.

I like openness, but I also recognize that the IETF culture tends to
interpret openness broadly enough to mean that anyone can bring up any
topic at any time, whether or not that topic is related to the group's
purpose, whether or not that person knows what he is talking about,
whether or not that topic has already been discussed and a conclusion
reached, and whether or not there is any new information on that topic.
And this is a big part of our problem.  So I think it might be a mistake
to incorporate too many assumptions about IETF WGs into SGs.