Re: Last Call: draft-saintandre-jabberid (The Jabber-ID Header Field) to Proposed Standard

2007-09-16 11:07:29
Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Eric Allman wrote:

I don't see any reason why a new proposed standard should allow
obsolete syntax (specifically, obs-FWS in section 2).

Another reviewer pointed that out as well. As a result, in my
working copy I have changed that to:

"Jabber-ID:" [FWS] pathxmpp [FWS] CRLF

We discussed this elsewhere a year ago:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.message-headers/8

You can't have any ... [FWS] CRLF in a header field, what you
really want is ... *WSP CRLF.  That 2822 issue is already fixed in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-2822upd-02#section-3.2.6

[new]
| unstructured    =       (*([FWS] utext) *WSP) / obs-unstruct
[old]
| unstructured    =       *([FWS] utext) [FWS]

If you intend to rule out the obsolete syntax you don't need the
obs-FWS case covering what 2822upd-02 has as obs-unstruct.

While you're at it it could make sense to define the Jabber-ID in
a way also working for Netnews.  If you do that you'd arrive at...

| "Jabber-ID:" SP *WSP pathxmpp *WSP CRLF

...with the "magic SP" for Netnews (see a recent thread ont the
822 list about this oddity).  If you don't care about Netnews for
the moment you get:

| "Jabber-ID:" [FWS] pathxmpp *WSP CRLF

The reasoning behind this is that mail doesn't allow "apparently
empty lines" ... CRLF 1*WSP CRLF within the header.  And Netnews
is even stricter and doesn't allow an "apparently empty" header
field body line.

Or in other words the RFC 2822 message syntax is designed so that
losing trailing white space can't cause havoc (in the form of a
premature end-of header CRLF CRLF condition).

The obsolete RFC 822 syntax like the RFC 4234 LWSP construct still
demand that CRLF 1*WSP CRLF is very different from CRLF CRLF, and
won't survive conditions where significant trailing white space is
lost or ignored.

Frank