Re: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

2007-09-19 13:23:34
Thus spake "John C Klensin" <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
Second, the notion that RIRs set addressing policy is one that
has not been in place forever.  Indeed, it has evolved very
slowly and mostly by assertion by the RIRs that they have that
authority --assertions that, in other contexts, might look a lot
like either filling a vacuum or turf grabs depending on one's
perspective.  While they have always (since there have been
RIRs) had broad discretion within their own regions, and it has
always been recognized some coordination discourages
forum-shopping and other bad behavior, global address policy was
historically set by IANA in conjunction with the IAB, not by the
RIRs (although I assume their advice was certainly welcomed).

My understanding of the current process is that IANA policy is dictated by getting all RIRs to pass equivalent policies telling the IANA what to do. The NRO fits in there somewhere, as does US DoC.

I also believe that the RIRs have some obligation to consult the
IETF before making a major policy change and to pay careful
attention to anything rational the IETF has to say.

The RIRs do look to the IETF for guidance. However, they apparently feel free to declare the IETF's guidance not "rational", to use your word, and go out on their own when needed to meet the community's needs. There is a key difference between advice and authority.