Gen-art review of draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-01

2007-09-21 01:29:08
I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-ipv6-deprecate-rh0-01.txt
Reviewer: Elwyn Davies
Review Date: 21/9/07 IETF LC End Date: 20/9/07
IESG Telechat date: (if known) -

essentially editorial comments below.

Comments:
s3: "IPv6 nodes **MUST NOT process** RH0 in packets whose destination address in the IPv6
header is an address assigned to them. Such packets...":  The rest of the section then goes on
to describe just how the node processes the header!  I think it should say something like: "An
IPv6 node that receives a packet with a destination address assigned to it and containing an RH0
extension header MUST NOT execute the algorithm specified in the latter part of Section 4.4 of
[RFC2460] for RH0. Instead such packets..."

s4.2, para 1: The abbreviation RH is not defined (only RH0) so s/type-2 RH/type
2 Routing Header/

This document accurately reflects the consensus that was reached in the
community but there was considerable discussion about the appropriate course of
action having discovered the issue.  I think that a short appendix noting the
alternative ways forward and the reasons for not taking them would have been
useful to avoid revisiting the discussion in future.