secdir review of draft-ietf-dnsop-reflectors-are-evil-04.txt

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

DNS is not my area of expertise but the document clearly explains
the nature of the problem to be solved (DOS attacks that employ
DNS servers as amplifiers) and the recommendations for solving the
problem (employing ingress filtering to prevent IP address spoofing
and changing nameservers to provide recursive name lookup service
only to the intended clients).

I have no issue with the main content of the document. It does seem
like a worthwhile recommendation. However, I have a few comments.

The Introduction seems a bit defensive in stating that the DOS attacks
are not due to any flaw in the design of DNS or its implementations.
While the blame for the attacks lies with the attackers, some aspects
of nameserver configuration, behavior, and even protocol design make
the systems vulnerable to these attacks. I suggest that the defensive
language be removed.

Although I agree that ingress filtering is a good solution to this
problem and provides many other benefits since it addresses many
different attacks that involve spoofed IP addresses, the document
states repeatedly that ingress filtering is the only solution to
the problem. Ingress filtering may be the best solution but it is
NOT the only solution, as evidenced by the other measures described
in the document. None of these measures (including increased use
of ingress filtering) will provide complete and absolute protection
against DOS attacks that use nameservers as attack amplifiers.
Employing all of the measures as appropriate while emphasizing
the huge benefits of ingress filtering seems like the best approach.
So I suggest that the wording in the document be toned down to take
a more balanced approach to the problem.

Finally, I wonder whether other more fundamental techniques for
addressing the problem have been explored. For instance, if DNS clients
were required to perform a simple handshake before a DNS server sent
a long response, fake requests would provide little amplification.
For example, requests that elicit long responses could prompt a
shift to TCP. Of course, this would have other unpleasant side effects
such as slowing down the processing of DNS requests with long responses
and troubles getting DNS requests through firewalls. I'm not suggesting
that this approach be discussed in this document, simply that it be
considered (which probably has already been done).

Thanks,

Steve