Re: [DNSOP] Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-dnsop-reflectors-are-evil (Preventing Use of Recursive Nameservers in Reflector Attacks) to BCP

2007-09-28 14:20:55

On 28-Sep-2007, at 1516, Dean Anderson wrote:

Not widely supported in clients. Therefore, not a solution.

In fact, it's quite feasible in operating systems which can run a local instance of (say) BIND9. It would be fair to say that installing and configuring BIND9 on an average laptop is far beyond the abilities of the average laptop owner, but that's presumably just a matter of packaging.

VPN are another solution, although not mentioned in the I-D, may be
because it is obvious.

Maybe its not mentioned because its not a practical solution. But
whatever the reason it isn't mentioned, a 25 million user VPN is not
going to happen with 10/8.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "VPN". If you mean "a hub and spoke topology of tunnels, all concentrated centrally" then yeah, that sounds like a bit of a stretch. If you mean "use of AH in queries sent towards a resolver which is configured somehow to discard packets that are not authentic" then I suspect there are ways to make that scale, even for quite large client populations.

(I might choose to incorporate anycast into such a design. You, presumably, would not. :-)

A comcast person recently complained on PPML
that there wasn't enough RFC1918 space for their internal network.

I have heard such reports from Comcast in various forums. I have no reason to doubt them. I do not think that is especially pertinent to the question at hand, however.

Joe