Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-09-30 08:27:44
I support the publication of this document as an Experimental RFC.
However, this document raises issues relating to disclosure of IPR and
affiliation that still need to be dealt with.

Brian Carpenter said:

"I think the IETF already sent a very strong signal that it won't
close its eyes to late disclosures for standards track documents,
by removing this from the standards track."

Making an example of a document does not constitute development
of a consistent and comprehensive policy on the handling of late
IPR disclosure.

For example, what happens if IPR disclosure occurs after RFC publication?
This is not an abstract question -- there are cases in which IPR
disclosure has occurred after a document was published as a Proposed
Standard - RFC 3588 is an example.

"It seems like double jeopardy to use this as an argument against Experimental
status too - as Tim has said, there's nothing in our rules to block publication
as
Experimental after an IPR disclosure."

I would agree that the IPR issue is not as relevant to publication of a document
with Experimental status.  However, there is another issue that this document
raises -- affiliation disclosure.

If we define affiliation as the "individual or entity that has been, or will
be, financially or materially supporting that individual's participation in a
particular standards activity" (the IEEE-SA Bylaws definition), then in this
case the document authors disclose their employers, but not necessarily
their affiliation.

While an employer is typically the entity that reports an employee for tax
purposes, in the case of a consultant, the employer and affiliation will
typically be different.

I would suggest that the IETF needs an affiliation policy covering disclosure
of affiliation within Internet-Drafts & RFCs, as well as disclosure of
affiliation by members of the IESG, IAB and IAOC.

An example of an affiliation policy is available here:
http://standards.ieee.org/faqs/affiliationFAQ.html