Re: AI_SECURE_CANONNAME, AI_CANONNAME_SEARCH_* (Re: getaddrinfo() and searching)

2007-10-01 21:24:47
I've recently concluded that we need an extension to getaddrinfo() along
these lines, but I'm looking for somewhat tighter and more generic
semantics.

My proposal is to add an AI_SECURE_CANONNAME flag with the following
semantics:

    do not try to implement policy into applications.  you will end up
    forced to (?) rewrite every existing applications.

perhaps, but having the policy be application-independent doesn't make
sense either.

        it can be application-specific, without application modification.
        check out "systrace" by Niels Provos.

itojun