RE: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

2007-10-03 06:12:51
If IANA had any resolve there are at least 25 -30 Class A blocks that should be reclaimed and are not or should not be part of the public Internet address space.

At 6:56 -0400 2007/10/03, Ray Plzak wrote:
Brian,

My comment was regarding a head in the sand approach when it comes to the recurring themes that the developing world can't IP address space, whether it is v4 or v6. The fact is that they can get it from the RIR like those in the developed regions can get it from their RIRs. The real problem, in other words, putting head in sand, is to substitute this address space access issue for the real one of what can the recipients of the address space do with it when they get, particularly if they have no hardware to run it on, no electricity to power it, and no upstream willing to route it. It is those issues that need to be hit head on if the Internet is to really grow in the developing regions of the globe.

Ray

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Brian E Carpenter
[mailto:brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
 Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 4:39 PM
 To: Ray Plzak
 Cc: Tim Chown; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
 Subject: Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

 Ray,

 I don't think it's quite fair to refer to ostriches
 when ARIN is already on record:
 http://www.arin.net/v6/v6-resolution.html

 Also, for those who like to see things in real time,
 there's always http://penrose.uk6x.com/

 Regards
     Brian Carpenter
     University of Auckland

 On 2007-10-03 02:47, Ray Plzak wrote:
 > Head in the sand is substituting the statement "shortage of IP
 addresses" for the condition of the inability to use the addresses
 (take your pick when it comes to infrastructure deficiencies).