RE: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

2007-10-02 05:21:47
The shortage of IPv4 addresses in developing countries in a red herring. All
one has to do is apply for them from the RIR. Getting a service provider to
route them is a different problem, especially when they profit from running
your traffic through their NAT.

Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: philemon [mailto:philemon(_at_)drtvnet(_dot_)cg]
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 6:40 AM
To: Hannes Tschofenig; Keith Moore
Cc: Stephen Sprunk; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Paul Hoffman
Subject: Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

Hi All

Just an input about the NAT issue handled here. The 'war' against NAT
is
senseless before succeeding the one against IPv4. I mean, as far as the
v4
protocol runs on our networks, NAT will remain as a useful tool for
those
who need it, of course for specific applications. In developing
countries
for example where IPv6 entry is very slow -add to a scarcity of IPv4
addresses- we are always using NAT, and are happy to do so as:

1- No enough IPv4 addresses

2-No need for the specific applications for those networks

3-No alternative solution currently 'in the hands'.

Thanks

Philemon