Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-dnsop-reflectors-are-evil-04.txt

2007-10-02 05:21:47
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 01:48:36 -0600
Danny McPherson <danny(_at_)tcb(_dot_)net> wrote:

Again, any pointers empirical data along these lines would
be appreciated.

I said this awhile back:

  <http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg02196.html>

  "As a datapoint I ran some tests against a reasonably diverse and
  sizeable TLD zone I work with in another forum.  I queried the name
  servers listed in the parent to see if I could successfuly query
  them for their corresponding domain name they are configured for
  using TCP.  Out of about 9,300 unique name servers I failed to
  receive any answer from about 1700 of them.  That is a bit more
  than an 18% failure rate."

I think I overcompensated as I later found what looked like BIND 8
servers being unresponsive for multiple TCP queries in queue.  I let
the numbers stay, since the percentage of those servers were fairly
small and, well, they were BIND 8 and probably have other problems
anyway. :)

John