Re: Comment on draft-tschofenig-eap-ikev2-15

2007-10-09 01:29:59
Lakshminath,

If a type code is going to be allocated anyway, it makes perfect sense
to have the protocol documented in an RFC.

OK.

Procedurally, I am curious about the experimental status however,
given that the general mode of operation on EAP methods was to
document the method in an informational track RFC.

I admit that this looks somewhat arbitrary choice, and Inf would
have worked too. But here's my rationale: some of the other EAP
methods that are Inf were truly non-research efforts with a very
clear target in the market place and in vendor's products. There's
less clarity on EAP IKEv2's role, it came out of what to me appeared
as a researcher's interest to see if a method can be defined this
way. This is why Exp felt more appropriate, with the experiment
being whether this method finds use in the world.

I will also ask the obligatory :) question:

After the experiment, are we entertaining the possibility of advancing
this work to standards track?

We would consider that for any document. I think its somewhat
unlikely in this case, though. Again, the recommended methods
to use will come out of EMU.

Jari