Re: Comments on draft-aboba-sg-experiment-02

2007-10-11 22:00:58
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
Just for the record, if the norm ends up being "Idea --> BoF-1 --> BoF-2 --> SG --> WG," I would be very disappointed and would chalk that up under the law of unintended consequences :). I am hoping that "Idea --> SG --> WG" or "Idea --> BoF1 --> SG --> WG" in that order become the norm (where SG is involved of course), especially when proponents of new work are people who may not be regulars at the IETF.

One of the reasons for having a BoF is that the BoF proponents need to convince the rest of the IETF that the idea is workable and there's sufficient interest to work on the topic.

If there is expectation that no BoF is held between the SG and WG phase, how can we guarantee that the IETF as a whole thinks the charter and the other deliverables the SG worked on are convincing and worth doing?

As for the timeslot scheduling, I'd say SGs should have a precedence over IRTF research groups, given that we're talking about IETF meetings, not IRTF meetings.