Re: The IETF duty for Carbon emissions, energy use &ct.

2007-10-15 14:41:09
At 04:30 PM 10/15/2007, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

Daniel Senie wrote:
> At 01:29 PM 10/15/2007, John Leslie wrote:
>
>> Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Whether your objective is to reduce carbon emissions because of
>> > global warming concerns or reduce dependence on fossil fuels that are
>> > increasingly in short supply, there is a real incentive to reduce
>> > energy use.
>> >
>> > If teleconferencing actually worked the need to hold face to face
>> > meetings would be reduced.
>>
>>    I am constantly surprised how little interest there is within IETF
>> for teleconferecing that works well.
>
> Indeed. I raised this point over the years. Even offering to pay a
> "remote attendance fee" if there were in fact the ability to see and
> hear sessions, and participate. The IETF for many years crowed about the
> Mbone connectivity as being innovative, but got stuck there, and didn't
> progress when comercial solutions bypassed that flawed technology.

I don't recall crowing about multicast.

I also don't recall you volunteering to show up and help enable remote
participation...

No. I offered that I would pay a fee and NOT show up.

The volunteers built a model that was sustainable with a modest amount
of capital and time. both jabber and and streaming audio.

I respectfully suggest that if you put more in, you might get more out.

So in order to participate remotely, I needed to show up and run cameras. I'm sorry, but that does not make sense. I'm also sorry if you thought I was criticizing the people who put in the time to broadcast the meetings over Mbone. It was a great effort. Not one I could watch, mind you, since multicast connectivity didn't reach most of the places I've worked, but nice that someone did it nonetheless.

What I suggested, at plenaries and such, was that I would have been happy to pay a meeting fee, despite not being there, if the money went toward interactive, remote attendance instead of to cookies, ice cream, pretzels and danish.