Re: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-19 13:49:37
Phill,

If folk can't get their act together when a WG starts then why should we expect
them to be able to do so at the end when we are trying to close the work?

Because of the difference between known unknowns and unknown unknowns.

At the beginning, you're asking an entirely hypothetical question about
potential patents on undesigned technology.

At the end, you're asking a precise question about applied-for or granted
patents on specific technology.

There's a world of difference, especially since the IETF only requires disclosure of patents reasonably and personally known to the individual contributor.

   Brian