Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-unicode-escapes (ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters) to BCP

2007-10-21 02:09:53
On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 02:44:02PM -0400,
 The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote
 a message of 24 lines which said:

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:

- 'ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters '
   <draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-06.txt> as a BCP

For those unfamiliar with the issues, do note that the document has a
small applicability realm. Most IETF protocols can handle Unicode in
one of its main encodings such as UTF-8. And discussing Unicode in
texts intended for human consumption is already done with the U+nnnn
standard notation.

What this document covers is the needs of some protocols / formats who
cannot handle a standard Unicode encoding. They are not many. A
typical example is RFC 4646 for its registry. (4646bis, under work,
will no longer need it.)

So, no need for lengthy flames :-) This is a proposal to handle the
last few non-fully-Unicode corners of the Internet world.

As so, I support this document, I find it useful, I've reviewed it and
and I find it reaches a reasonable balance between being too normative
(forcing one and only one ASCII escape method) and being not enough
normative (just documenting different methods, without giving
indications to protocol / format authors about the best choices).