RE: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third LastCall:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-21 03:51:32

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawrence Rosen [mailto:lrosen(_at_)rosenlaw(_dot_)com]
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:16 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third
LastCall:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

[...] Everyone
expects IETF to take reasonable steps, consistent with its
fundamental
technical mission, to de-mine the patent landscape so that anyone
can
implement our worldwide specifications in products of all types.

I don't presume to speak for everyone.
I expect the IETF to take reasonable steps to de-mine the patent
landscape related to our own policies, so that anyone can implement
our worldwide specifications in products of all types.

I expect those reasonable steps to include IPR disclosure by
participants in the process, and where IPR has been disclosed, the
IETF should discuss the tradeoffs and make a decision about whether
IPR-encumbrance is acceptable.

I do NOT expect those reasonable steps to include declaring that all
companies contributing to a standard must give away associated IPR for
free, to suit the open source community. I think it is an unreasonable
demand from the open source community, and it is the licensing terms
of open source implementations that place limitations on implementing
our worldwide specifications in products of all types.

David Harrington
dbharrington(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net
ietfdbh(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net