Re: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third Last Call:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-22 21:05:17
On 2007-10-23 16:20, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
I'm confused by this part of the discussion. How can a standard be encumbered by GPL? As far as I know, GPL does not prevent anyone from implementing a standard without any restrictions or fees, just possibly from using somebody else's code under certain conditions.

There's certainly a tricky point if code embedded in a standard
is explicitly subject to the GPL; that makes it effectively impossible
for a commercial implementor to use even fragments of that code
in a proprietary way.

I don't think that anybody is proposing that all implementations should be "free", in whatever sense of the word, just that free implementations can exist.

Thus, I consider this somewhat of a diversion.

Well, there's an inverse claim that some of the IETF's current rules
make it impossible to use material extracted from RFCs in open source
under certain OS licenses. But I agree that these copyright issues are
distinct from patent issues. The latter concern whether an implementor
can put code under a given OS license at all, depending on the exact
form of patent licence available. Not all OS licenses have this
problem, however.

    Brian

Henning