Re: A priori IPR choices

2007-10-23 07:10:27
Simon Josefsson <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org> wrote:

I think the solution here is to come up with a reasonable definition of
"free" that would fail to be met in the specific case of BOCU.  I don't
think it is an impossible problem to solve.  How about 'Should be
possible to implement without having to pay for a patent license'?

That's IMO not quite strong enough.  There are patent licenses which
don't require to pay a fee but which impose other conditions that are
so severe that having to pay a fee would be by far the lesser evil.

How about: 'Should be possible to implement without having to ask for
permission or pay a fee'?

Greetings,
Norbert.

--