Re: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third Last Call:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-23 04:34:55
Norbert Bollow <nb(_at_)bollow(_dot_)ch> writes:

I also note that we can easily get onto a slippery slope here.
Many companies view the GPL to be an encumbrance no less severe
than the patent policies of other companies.  Perhaps it is even
more severe because encumbrances associated with patents that
can be made to go away by the payment of money are less
complicated to deal with (if one is willing to spent the money)
than encumbrances under the GPS, which just don't go away.
Would you recommend that IETF not permit any materials that
might be encumbered under the GPL, etc.?

I would recommend that in order to be considered acceptable,
implementation in GPL'd free software as well as implementation in
proprietary closed-source software must both be allowed by the
licensing terms of any patents.

I think that is a good recommendation, and I support it.

I would even consider a requirement that in order to move beyond
Proposed Standard, a protocol needs to have a free implementation
available.

/Simon