Re: When is using patented technology appropriate?

2007-10-24 14:59:46
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:15:55 +1300
Brian E Carpenter <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 2007-10-25 04:30, Sam Hartman wrote:

    Simon> If you replace IBM with 'A Patent Troll', do you think
    Simon> the same holds?  > > I think that such behavior should
    Simon> be presumed not to be a patent
troll.  Patent trolls are not known forpromising to give away
royalty-free licenses.

They are also, in general, known for *not* particpating in
the standards process, precisely to avoid falling under
patent disclosure requirements. As far as non-participants
are concerned, nothing in our rules matters.

Right.  Any IPR policy has to acknowledge the fact that relevant
patents can be owned by non-troll non-participants.  (Too many
negatives there -- what I'm saying is that IETFers don't know of all
patents in the space, and there are real patent owners who care about
their patents, even though they aren't trolls.)