Re: About referenced documents...

2007-10-31 15:31:54
We've been referencing ITU-T specifications for a very long time, even
though until this year you had to pay for them. The key is publicly
available, not publicly free.

Cheers,
Andy

On Oct 28, 2007 10:01 PM, Randy Presuhn
<randy_presuhn(_at_)mindspring(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hi -

From: "lconroy" <lconroy(_at_)insensate(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: "IETF Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:02 PM
Subject: About referenced documents...
I had thought that the IETF didn't like normative references that
were not available to all (without paying for them).

Am I misunderstanding the situation?

Many participants in the IETF have a preference for freely available
specifications, but nothing prohibits a normative reference to a
specification that needs to be purchased.  Factors to consider
include how widely implemented the specification in question is,
and whether that specification is clearer than or technically superior
to its "competition."

Randy