Re: About referenced documents...

2007-10-31 16:17:07
Hi Tom, folks,
 Many thanks for that. This is exactly what I wanted to know.
I understand that this is a distraction from the wider IPR crusade,
but I wonder if people should consider ensuring that our standards
refer to just this kind of open document (e.g. refer to SUS/opengroup
standards rather than the original POSIX/IEEE standards).

That, ISTM, would be a worthwhile campaign that would not require the
whole world to change - if one can't READ the specs, then it is hard
to base an implementation on more than Internet rumour and guesswork.

----

As to whether these should be available for free or just be available
- it matters to me. Most people who are active in the IETF do so because
they have support from whoever is paying them (me too). My company can
afford for me to gain access to the referenced standards as needed.
Fine.

However, Not everyone is in that position - have you seen how much
a full (non-academic) IEEE (or full ITU-T/R, or full...) sub costs?
Are we really willing to restrict those who can implement IETF
standards to those who are supported by a (well funded) company?
I hope not.

I am fed up with folk just looking at the examples given in an RFC and
assuming that these are always correct/sufficient/complete. It's dumb.
If they can't read the references specs because they can't afford them,
then it's our bad, not theirs.

...and with that, we return you to your regular scheduled IPR crusade.

all the best,
  Lawrence