Re: Please oppose patent-encumbered technologies, including draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-11-02 02:29:31
Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam(_at_)benfinney(_dot_)id(_dot_)au> writes:

Whether the technology is covered by a patent, I can't say, as I'm
not a judge in a patent-violation suit.

I claimed that the technology is *encumbered* by a patent, in that
there is a patent claimed on the technology that is at least similar
to the implementation, encumbering the technology and those who
would implement it with the prospect of a very expensive law suit to
determine whether the patent actually covers the technology.

With the corollary that, if *nobody* had to ever go through anything
to find out whether the technology is covered by the patent — for
example, if the patent holder granted everyone in the world a
royalty-free license to implement the described technology for any
purpose whatsoever without even knowing the patent existed — then the
technology would *not* be encumbered by that patent.

So "is covered by patents" is less relevant to my argument than "is
encumbered by patents".

--
 \         "I was arrested today for scalping low numbers at the deli. |
  `\                  Sold a number 3 for 28 bucks."  -- Steven Wright |