FW: Last Call: draft-ietf-psamp-protocol (Packet Sampling (PSAMP) Protocol Specifications) to Proposed Standard

2007-11-05 02:50:38
Here are my comments. They are quite a few, it may be because it's a
good document.

Technical:

1. Section 3.2.1 - Packet Content. The definition includes in the packet
header the link layer header. This deserves at least a note, which
should draw the attention on the fact that some if the Observation Point
is located at the interface of an IP router the link header information
may not be available. Moreover, all examples later in the document use
only IP header IE, it would be useful to change or add one example to
show sub-IP header information.

2. Section 8.2 - PSAMP IANA considerations mention the need of a group
of experts to advise on new PSAMP selection methods. This seems a little
overkill to me, as I do not expect this advise to be required too often
in the future. One designated expert to work with IANA would seem to me
sufficient, of curse in doing his work he may consult with a team, but
this needs not be mentioned here.

Editorial

1. The document is using a capitalization convention where all terms
defined or mentioned in Section 3 are being written capitalized. This
includes quite common and often used terms like Sample or Flow. In order
to avoid comments about this capitalization style I suggest to explain
this convention in the terminology section.

2. Many of the figures get fragmented at print. Now I know that it's
difficult to avoid this in a document with about 20 figures, and doing
.np before each figure would be quite a waste, but I suggest that at
least figure C which is a key architecture diagram be kept on one page.

Dan