Re: Reminder: Offer of time on the IPR WG agenda for rechartering

2007-11-05 14:12:53
On 2007-11-06 08:22, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
FWIW,

My understanding of the community consensus in 2003 is what Keith said...

Spencer

though I'd probably phrase this differently, e.g.: the IETF has decided,
as a group, that a blanket patent policy is counterproductive to IETF's
goals.

Mine too. If I was going to be in Vancouver, I'd ask for a few minutes
to talk about draft-carpenter-ipr-patent-frswds-01.txt. That draft
doesn't exist yet, but will do, with the new requirement in the -00
version changed to a mere preference. My objective would be to test the
level of interest in that approach. However, since it is not a change
to RFC 3978, but to the interpretation of RFC 2026 itself, I would argue
*against* rechartering the IPR WG for this tweak.

   Brian