Re: [Ietf-message-headers] Re: I-DAction:draft-saintandre-header-pres-00.txt

2007-11-08 09:02:54
SM wrote:
At 15:49 07-11-2007, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
But what is a Contact-ID? Any means by which you could contact me might
be included in that category -- email, telephone, voicemail, fax, post
office box, various IM addresses, IRC channels where I hang out, etc.

A contact can be a channel of communication.  In the case of your
drafts, it's a channel which can be associated with a URI.  If you find
the header name inappropriate, you can invent another term for it.

And in fact a pres: URI does not provide a means of contact. It provides
a way for you to know about my network availability, but you can't
communicate with me via that URI, so it's not a Contact-ID at all.

The pres: URI provides a means to retrieve presence information.  It's
indirectly a means of contact.

I don't think it makes sense for me to say "contact me at my presence
URI" because there's no way for me to receive inbound communications at
that URI. It is purely outbound from me to the world.

I wrote draft-saintandre-header-im and draft-saintandre-header-pres (now
both in version -01) to address some feedback I received during IETF LC
regarding draft-saintandre-jabberid. I think now it would be appropriate
for those who provided that feedback to say whether they think these new
I-Ds address that feedback, whether they think the drafts needs to be
consolidated as you have suggested, etc.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/