draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-01.txt

2007-11-20 10:01:32
Hi,

In Chicago I presented the previous version of this draft in the int- area session and I got some good comments in the meeting. However, after updating the draft there has been very little in the way of discussion. So I thought I'd ask this somewhat larger group:

Do you think this is useful work?

If so, how should it be published? Standards track, experimental, informational?

I'll be happy to discuss details in Vancouver.

Thanks,

Iljitsch van Beijnum

Begin forwarded message:

        Title           : IPv6 Extensions for Multi-MTU Subnets
        Author(s)       : I. van Beijnum
        Filename        : draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-01.txt
        Pages           : 16
        Date            : 2007-8-29

In the early days of the internet, many different link types with many
 different maximum packet sizes were in use. For point-to-point or
point-to-multipoint links, there are still some other link types (PPP,
 ATM, Packet over SONET), but shared subnets are almost exclusively
 implemented as ethernets. Even though the relevant standards madate a
 1500 octet maximum packet size for ethernet, more and more ethernet
 equipment is capable of handling packets bigger than 1500 octets.
 However, since this capability isn't standardized, it's seldom used
 today, despite the potential performance benefits of using larger
packets. This document specifies a mechanism to negotiate per- neighbor
 maximum packet sizes so that nodes on a shared subnet may use the
 maximum mutually supported packet size between them without being
 limited by nodes with smaller maximum sizes on the same subnet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-01.txt