Re: Last Call Comments on draft-ietf-shim6-hba-04

2007-11-26 07:51:15
At Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:18:42 +0100,
Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 25 nov 2007, at 22:51, Jari Arkko wrote:

Eric is right that HBA does not appear to buy much additional value
over
CGAs. On the other hand, HBAs are very easy to support if you already
support CGAs; and some people seem to think shared-key only crypto is
helpful. You might disagree with that assessment, but it was the WG's
decision. I do not personally feel a need to prevent them for
including
this support.

There are two differences:

- both generating and checking public key signatures is more expensive
than just hashes

Yes, it is, but as I said in my initial review, I don't see any
real evidence that these are limiting factors in any practical
setting. Premature optimization is one of the most common tropes
in cryptographic protocol engineering.

- for CGA, a host needs to store a private key somehwere, with HBA
there are no secrets

I don't really see the relevance of this.

-Ekr