Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to Draft Standard (1)

2007-12-10 17:36:53

Pete Resnick wrote:
Base specifications can be extended by other documents, and we may update base specifications without taking into account those extensions.

+1

2. The mailing lists described in 2821 are very simple redistribution lists, as opposed to the "fairly sophisticated forums for group communication" [2919] described in these documents. For simple aliasing and redistribution lists, I think the "MUST be left unchanged" is appropriate.

A mailing list is re-posting a message. From a purist's standpoint it is a new message. However the simple lists that Pete is describing seek to be MTAs that do multi-casting. They are not intending to more than be a relay, mapping what is really an intermediate address into a set of final recipients.

Having mailing lists like these discussed in 2821 seems reasonable, since they seek to emulate MTAs. Not mentioning this class of relay is probably worse than the challenge of mentioning them.

Consequently, to Pete's point:  +1.

Assuming people here on the general IETF list have no idea what you're talking about here, suffice it to say that the discussion that occurred on the DKIM list to which you refer is about whether the aforementioned more complex mailing list should be adding or modifying the "Sender" field. I think there is not consensus on what such mailing lists should do,

+1. Mailing lists have always presented architectural challenges. No expectation that that will change anytime soon.

 let alone what DKIM should do about that, which IMO lends more
support for the position of 2821bis: Mucking around with a header section leads to bad consequences, and until some more work is done in this area to figure out the "correct" thing to do, one MUST NOT go changing header sections.

+1.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker