Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-14 14:59:13
IETF Chair wrote:
Dear Colleagues:

How dark is the IPv6 Internet?  Let's find out.

During the IESG/IAOC Plenary at IETF 71, we are going to turn off IPv4
support on the IETF network for 30 to 60 minutes.  We will encourage the
audience to use the Internet and determine which services that they have
come to take for granted remain available.

Note that unless hosts flush their dhcp leases and ipv4 default routes
this actually will look more like an ipv4 transit outage on a dual-stack
supporting network then it will an ipv6 only network... While I think
it's a perfectly reasonable exercise I think it's better to aim to
simulate the latter rather than the former (which is operational rather
than architectural issues).

If you are from a service provider, we encourage you to make your service
a bright spot on the IPv6 Internet.

To facilitate this experiment, a URL with instructions on how to get IPv6
running on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and so on.  Some information will
also be available for a 4-to-6 tunnel.

We will ask everyone to list things that work and things that do not. The
results will be part of the proceedings for the plenary session.

We will make more information about the structuring of this activity over
the next few weeks.  Please do whatever you can to make ready ...

Russ Housley
IETF Chair